Tuesday, February 12, 2013

The 10 Second Rule

Photo courtesy of Foto Search
 
Did you ever go to church on Sunday and hear a sermon that you felt was directed to you? That is how I felt this Sunday. I left church feeling so inspired and encouraged to do good in this world despite all the horrible news stories lately. Right now we have a priest that I absolutely adore! He is an incredible speaker and he tailors his sermons to all age levels. I actually get giddy when they say he is the priest at the mass I am sitting in, makes it all the more enjoyable (even though I had to tell my four year old to be quiet like a billion times)!


Rewind to this past Wednesday. I was on my way to work and stopped at the post office to mail some EBay sales. By the way, I love going to our post office at 7 am and using the automated postal machine! I then got in the car and decided to do a “quick” stop at CVS to get some sale items. As I was checking out, the cashier fainted on me! Before I could react she got back up. I asked her if she was okay and she assured me she was and continued with my order only to faint again! This time she did not get back up, so I quickly ran to the back of the store to get the pharmacist. By then she was already getting up. She was okay and the manager finished the transaction for me. I told her to go sit down and get something to eat. As I left CVS, I felt good!

Now back to Sunday in church, the 10 Second Rule. The priest asked us for Lent to practice the 10 Second Rule for the next 40 days. If you have a thought in your head that you should do something to help another person, act on it! Within 10 seconds of having that thought, do it rather than dismiss it! 

I think we encounter situations like this every day. Perhaps you are in the grocery store and someone cannot reach an item, get it for them. Or if you see a neighbor struggling to shovel their driveway, grab your shovel and go help! Imagine how cool this world would be if everyone acted on their good thoughts instead of dismissing them and going to the next aisle or going back in your warm house.

Are you inspired to follow the 10 Second Rule for the next 40 days? I am and I hope you join me!

No comments:

Post a Comment