Sunday, February 15, 2015

Kick the Pre-Packaged Mix - 2015 Challenge


Call it convenience, lazy, or just a taste preference, I have a slight addiction with packages of different mixes.  I actually have a whole shoe-box size basket in my pantry loaded with these little envelopes!  Yes they are convenient, however they also contain a lot of ingredients that are really not necessary to make a meal.  In addition, most of the ingredients that you need are more than likely in your spice cabinet.

I am challenging myself to break this habit (and I may not eliminate it completely), I truly want to find out if a homemade mix is truly as good as these prepackaged ones.  I know when I am in a rush,  I will probably still grab a packet, but if I have the time I am consciously going to try at making my own mix!  If I find one I like, I can make a large batch and store it for future dinners!

The internet is an amazing place when it comes to recipes.  So much so, that I do not even think one truly needs a recipe box anymore!  I spent some time trolling the internet for some prepackaged alternatives.  Here is a good list to try!

Homemade Sloppy Joe Mix - $5 Dinners - I tried this and it was amazing!  The verdict?  I will use this instead of an envelop mix!

Homemade Taco Seasoning Recipe - Whole New Mom

Meat Loaf with Homemade Seasoning Mix - Just A Pinch

Homemade Gravy Mix - A Few Short Cuts

Homemade Fajita Seasoning - Lynn's Kitchen Adventures

Ranch Dressing Mix - Untrained Housewife

Beef Stew Seasoning Mix - Budget 101

Chili Seasoning Packet - Family Corner
 
Homemade Enchilada Sauce - Damn Delicious

Dry Onion Soup Mix - Yummly

Homemade Vegetable Dill Dip - Katrina's Kitchen

Caesar Salad Dressing - Heart Healthy Home

So do you have a favorite you care to share?  Leave the link in the comments!




No comments:

Post a Comment